NAME: Kiki Poulisse
BORN IN: Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
LIVING IN: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
YOU ARE WORKING AS: concept stylist and designer in my own studio Bij Kiki
PLEASE DESCRIBE YOURSELVE IN 1 or 2 SENTENCES: I am always up-to-date but I also have a strong love for nostalgic design and DIY items, like iron-on patches which remind me of my youth.
Kiki Poulisse studied Art Direction at the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam and Concept Product Styling at Artemis Academy in Amsterdam.
Now she is a concept stylist and designer at various retail companies: she is a stationary presence at HEMA and trendwatcher at kleine fabriek, with an inspiring trend presentation called ‘What’s up in products’.
In 2008 Kiki founded her own creative studio Bij Kiki, that also represents her own kids collection which is sold online and at various stores in Europe.
The collection consists of baby items, T-shirts with graphic prints, gifts, accessories to colour-in as well as a cool DIY range with iron-on patches.
1. Which is the most fascinating even simple item you ever bought for children?
The Airplane spoon, simple and effective!
2. Is there one children’s shop which has put a magic spell on you?
In Amsterdam you must visit IMPS&ELFS+FRIENDS. This is a small department store with kids fashion, home&deco and special gifts. Always a success!
3. Which children’s brand you just love?
Creative brands like Bobo Choses, Mainio, April Showers, Wolf & Rita, Nununu and Stella McCartney are favourite!
4. What was your favourite outfit when you were a child?
A pastel yellow mini skirt with a Mickey Mouse t-shirt. Totally on-trend now in 2016!
5. Your favourite children’s book?
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, a magical pop-up book by Robert Sabuda.
6. Which museum even kids would spend hours in?
Our Rijksmuseum is perfect to wander around. In ‘The Picnic Room’ kids can draw and design postcards.
7. What did you expect to become when you were a child?
Even as a kid I was already a stylist, always creating stuff and making stories. Back then, I never realized this was actually a profession.
8. Which is your favourite restaurant?
A secret hideaway in Portugal with a spectacular restaurant built into the rocks.
9. If you would win a trip and the only thing you have to do is taking a child with you… Where would you go?
I would love to go to Tokyo with my daughter. Actually next year we are going!
10. The craziest thing you ever did to stop bored kids from whining?
When my daughter was little we always took coloring books with us. Even now she’s older, she loves to decorate t-shirts and sneakers with textile markers.
11. The ONE family ritual you cherish most?
Decorating easter eggs with my whole family. Every “next year” we try to make better designs!
13. Please complete this sentence: One should teach children to…
…celebrate their specialness.